In today’s gospel, Jesus instructs us to keep his commandments, to love the Lord and our neighbor. How do we do that?
When I was a kid in Catholic School, we had to memorize the Ten Commandments. Now that I’m an adult, I think about them even more. Want to examine your conscience? Refer back to the Ten Commandments.
Jesus said to his disciples:
“As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love.
If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father’s commandments
and remain in his love.
“I have told you this so that
my joy might be in you and
your joy might be complete.”
In case you have forgotten, here’s the list:
- I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not kill.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.
Pretty good words to live by, don’t you think?